I’d like to share a video of a recent lecture I did for The People’s Philosophy Colloquium in Portland, Or. The topic was The Metaphysics of Prejudice: Understanding Power, Privilege and Oppression at the Level of Consciousness.
In it, I identify the central dualism that structures the current political landscape of identity politics and show how it’s fucking bullshit and we are being played. I have added my slides below so you can see them.
Thanks so much and Enjoy!
Here is the Full Write Up
Lecture: The Metaphysics of Prejudice — Understanding Privilege and Oppression at the Level of Consciousness
Lecturer: Maraya Karena
Teacher bio: http://peoplescolloquium.org/teacher-bios/
Using process-oriented concepts, we will explore:
- Multi-vector understandings of power in the social world.
- The archetypal emotional dynamics that underpin the current political polarization of left and right.
- The psychodynamic mechanics of prejudice.
- Power and oppression as states of consciousness.
- What in the world to do about it all.
So often, when we discuss power, privilege and oppression we limit our lens of discourse to the social level. We debate ideas, we assert moral positions, occasionally we self-reflect. But what is truly happening at the level of consciousness when we engage in prejudice? In this lecture we will expand the frameworks used to address structural inequality to help us understand how the whole human being is involved in the process of privilege and oppression. We will take an in depth look at Jordan Peterson to juxtapose the discourse of institutional privilege with the psychological experience of victimization and how this internal pattern is mirrored on multiple levels of social interaction. There will be a theory presentation, experiential exercises and open discussion.
- PRESENTATION OF THEORY: 20 MINS.
- PERSONAL THESIS CONJECTURE: 20 MINS
- EXPERIENTIAL ACTIVITY: 20 MINS.
- DISCUSSION: 20 MINS.
KEY AREAS OF THEORY PRESENTATION
- Review of Online Culture Wars by Angela Nagel as a way to map the polarization of the current political scene.
- Understanding of Rank Theory to illuminate the multiple vectors of power and privilege at the social level.
- Approaching prejudice from a metaphysical perspective.
- Rough historical review of the rise of Jordan Peterson and Joe Rogan against the backdrop of online forums and the alt-right.
- Basic phenomenological model of perception and cognition as related to self-conception.
- Overview of a process-oriented model of intersectionality, reviewing the contrast between social privilege with psychological experience.
- How discourses vs. experiences of power and oppression relate to archetypal versions of the hero’s journey with examples from Peterson’s personal growth empire.
LECTURE WILL DRAW ON THE THEORIES OF
- Maggie Nelson, The Art of Cruelty: A Reckoning, W.W. Norton & Company, 2011.
- Angela Nagel, Kill All Normies: Online Culture Wars from 4chan and Tumblr to Trump and the Alt-Right, Zero Books, 2017.
- Jordan Peterson, 12 Rules for Life, Penguin Random House, 2018.
- Julie Diamond, Where Roles and Rank Intersect, Lau Tsu Books, 2015.
- Martin Buber, I and Thou, 1937.
- Ta-Nehisi Coates, Between the World and Me, Spiegel and Grau, 2015.